What is Personal Property Coverage (Coverage C)?

Personal Property, or Coverage C, can be selected on the Coverage tab. Personal property includes items, not part of or permanently affixed to a structure and would fall out if you turned the house upside down and shook it.

The default limit for Coverage C is automatically set to 50% of the Replacement Cost Estimator (RCE). However, the limit can be fully customized from 0 to 150% of the RCE based on the customer's needs.

Openly's Coverage C offers several advantages

  • Our Primary and Secondary / Seasonal policies provide coverage for Personal Property on an open perils basis. This means all causes of loss are covered unless expressly excluded. Coverage is offered on a replacement cost basis.
  • Our Rent-to-Others policies provides coverage for a policyholder's personal property on a named perils basis. This means only named causes of loss are covered. Coverage is offered on an Actual Cash Value basis (replacement minus depreciation). Policyholders should make sure any renters have their own renters insurance.


All insurance providers, including Openly, have sub-limits for specific categories of property, such as collectibles and furs. Openly's base sub-limits for HO-5 policies are significantly higher than the standard ISO. You can find more information about our sub-limits here.

Property in transit or a self-storage unit

As part of our comprehensive coverage, we cover losses to items in transit or self-storage facilities unless they are caused by risks specifically excluded in our contracts. Openly will cover property in transit or a storage facility up to 10% of the limit of liability for Coverage C or $1,000, whichever is greater.

This doesn't apply to personal property relocated due to repairs, renovations, or rebuilding of the residence or when the residence is unfit for living or storing property. Nor does it apply when the property is usually located in an insured's residence other than the residence premises on the policy.

If professional movers handle your items, please secure liability coverage through the moving company. This ensures coverage for losses due to breakage or damage caused by the movers. Any losses caused by movers will not be covered under the Openly policy.


If you need to change the Personal Property coverage limit for an existing policy or require further assistance, contact us via our webform or Live Chat.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful